Today at work the “sunshine committee” planned a picnic for all of the employees who are working over the summer. So in my typical fashion, I volunteered to bring dessert. I found this awesome, amazing, delicious recipe on the Crepes of Wrath blog, and although her pictures were gorgeous, nothing could capture how good this smelled when it came out of the oven.
Don’t those look awesome? I’m basically drooling just looking at it, and I just had one at lunch!! The recipe was fairly simple. It’s basically a layer of graham cracker cookie dough:
Followed by a layer of chocolate bars:
And then some fluff! (I didn’t take a picture of the fluff layer, mostly because I was covered in it and I didn’t want to touch anything!)
And then another layer of graham cracker cookie dough delicious-ness:
Bake for about a half an hour and you are left with the most amazing pie-looking thing you’ve ever seen:
When this came out it literally took all of my self control, (and a reminder to myself that there are 5 chocolate bars inside), to keep from eating the whole thing.
My only suggestion would be to make it in an 8X8 square pan as the original recipe suggests. It would have been way easier to place the chocolate, and then spread the fluff, and much easier to cut and serve as bars. But for my first try at these I was pretty pleased with myself, and my boss even demanded that I make these for his birthday in October. We’re having another work picnic next month, so until then I will be on the hunt for an amazing dessert idea…Suggestions are more than welcome!
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 graham crackers)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 king-sized milk chocolate bars
1 1/2 cups marshmallow Fluff (not melted marshmallows because they harden when they cool)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and/or line an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Don’t worry if it seems thin; the baking powder will allow it to rise.
4. Place chocolate bars over dough (don’t layer the bars, just break them to fit if you need to), then spread the marshmallow Fluff over the chocolate bars. Finally, top the Fluff with the remaining dough by forming the dough into sheets with the palm of your hands and laying it down (as shown above). Don’t worry if the dough isn’t covering everything! It’ll spread out as it bakes.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. If the top is browning too quickly, you can always cover it with tin foil for the remaining baking time. Cool completely before cutting into bars. If you don’t allow them to cool completely, they will crumble when you try to cut them. Makes 16-20 bars.